The aims of the new DFE POS for languages encourages us in both KS2 and KS3 to develop learners who can :
- Understand and respond to spoken and written languages from a variety of authentic sources
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity,finding ways to communicate what...want to say
- Write at varying length for different purposes and audiences,using the variety of grammatical structures they have learnt
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
During this session at Ililc 2015 I intend to look at how we can develop communication skills in language learners from KS1,KS2 and KS3 and provide learners with a vehicle of self expression and creativity adding drama to language learning.I hope also to suggest APPS and use of IT to enhance the drama/language learning process and outcomes along the way too.
Drama and dramatic devices used in language learning promote:
- Better and more confident communication skills
- Inclusive participation
- Team work and appreciation of each others' creativity and performance
- An understanding of why intonation and pronunciation matter and how these can enhance character and covey meaning and emotion.
- Importance of the links between dialogue and actions to convey meaning
- Platforms upon which to develop independent creative writing
- Understanding of the importance of punctuation and accuracy in the choice and use of written language.
- Deeper and more creative understanding of text
- A purposeful reason to explore the skills of memorisation and tools to support the recall of language
Early language learning
- Voice Machines - sounds of the language and our voice machines (Audio Boom to capture those sounds!)
- Sunflower song active learning of simple language- numbers 1-10 linked to Springtime and growing plants. (Story Creator to capture the sunflowers growing taller and taller)
- Colour mimes and word association .Practising new language and finding ways to remember the sound and feel of new language. (Yakiyt for Kids)
- Stretchy sound and letter string balloons (Audio Boom balloons)
Exploring instructions and simple language.
- Parts of the body and puppeteers - listening, responding.
- Using Educreations APP to generate physical performance
- Mirror mirror on the wall (Step Five )
- Creative spoken language
- Flowing mime machines with rhythm and beat accompaniment and spoken word.
Asking and answering questions,speaking in full sentences and engaging in conversation
- Paper Puppets
- Superstar sketches.
- Puppet Pals APP to bring our conversations to life
- "Fancy dress" Quiz Quiz Swap (I-FunFace APP)
- Stage set triaramas with cultural speaking and writing attitude .Use of I-nigma APP to create spoken speech bubbles for the characters.
Now let's get dramatic!
- If a picture paints a 1000 words Anticipation Emotions displays (FotoBooth1 to generate our own emotions and feelings)
- Silent Movies , back stories and a taste of great literature (Capture the performance on Camcorders and IPads)'
- Going on an Autumn walk with poetry
- "Six characters in search of an author performance and a PicCollage to create Story Boards written outcome.
- 3D Art (Tiny Tap APP) (stage one, stage two, stage three.)