Firstly we need to practise and explore the numbers , use them in listening,speaking and reading activities,write them individually and play games with the numbers to increase confident and accurate use.The game below will encourage accurate written use of the target language.
Here is a game that can be played again and again and will suit all ages of beginner learners.A game that can be used with higher order numbers if you add multiplication and division too so we can play this in Y7 as well
- Divide you class in to groups of four.These are now the teams.
- Each child needs to bring a dice to the game!They need to make the dice.You can find an empty dice template here.They now need to add the six basic numbers 1-6 written as words in the target language.
- The game also requires a shared mini whiteboard which has a line across the middle of the page.If the number the player has on his/her card is higher than the number they can add up with the dice numbers rolled, the player who is "on" puts a tick above the line.Equally if it is less than the number added up , then the player puts a tick below the line- this helps the rest of the team guess the number.
- Each player needs a mini whiteboard and pen or a piece of rough paper
- Each child is responsible for writing a selection (three or four) of the numbers between 7 and 31 on to individual cards or pieces of paper.The children must put all the written target language number cards in the centre of the table.
- The cards need to be proof read by the team for accuracy against a class reference - flip chart/whiteboard/poster etc list of the written numbers.(The reference document needs to be concealed during the rest of the game)
- All these cards need to then be put into the "player's pot" (a box in the middle of the table from which the children take a card when it is there turn to be the "player" in the game.
- Now each child takes it in turns to be the "player".
- First player takes a card from the pot and reads the umber but does not show anyone else.
- The player rolls the four die the team have brought to the table (you can decide that only 3 of the 4 die should be rolled).
- Each member of the team adds up in their heads the total sum of the numbers revealed when the die have been rolled.The team members all write down on rough paper the total in the target language.They all reveal their whiteboards/ rough paper written totals .do they all agree? Have they all written the target language correctly?
- The player now indicates by ticking above or below the line of the shared mini white board ( as described above) if the number on his/her card from the pot is above or below the total.
- Now the rest of the team need to write down individually in the target language what they think the number on the card could be.
- The player reveals the number on the card.
- The rest of the team reveal their written target language guesses.
- There are points to be won! A maximum of four points....Points are awarded as follows- who added up the dice correctly? ( one point),who guessed correctly that it was a number higher or lower than the player's number on the card? (one point),who guessed the player's number correctly? (one point), who wrote it out correctly?( one point)
- Now it is the turn of a second player to select a card, roll the dice and the game starts again
- At the end of the game (a time limited game) which team member/s have the most points?