You can listen to and sing along with the song here on this page too!
Thought this would be a great way to develop reading and dictionary skills with our LKS2 Y4 French learners during Spring term. It will enable is to extend their knowledge of colours and reinforce our knowledge of nouns ....and maybe look for verbs in the text.
I love the idea that the crayons play whilst the children are outside on their playtime break and I love the fact the poem starts with a question....just what do the crayons do when there are no children in the classroom?
Highlight or underline each sentence of the poem in the correct colour.
Spot the two sentences that contain no colours.
Make the poem a picture in a picture frame .
- Children should use the words in the question of the first sentence as the header of the frame and the words in the final statement at the end of the poem as the footer of the frame.
- The sides of the frame are pencil calligrams:the colouring pencils mentioned written as word calligrams of the different colours.For example I might put red ,yellow and blue on one side and the black and grey on the other side.
- Now ask the children to investigate the sentences in the poem that explain what the different coloured pencils have drawn.Ask the children to circle the nouns in the sentences and check or find the meaning of the nouns in a bi-lingual dictionary.
- Have they spotted the unusual colours for the objects- let them share with you what they have found out! (e.g the mouse is red....or is it?)
- Can the look at the picture evidence around the outside the written text and spot the anomalies? For example the "green" crayon has drawn a yellow sunshine etc
- Now all they have to do is create the drawing as described in the text!
Make sense of the poem...
- Ask the children to explain the meaning of the word "dessine" - you may encourage them to think of English words that are similar (e.g design)
- Can they explain the role this word plays in the sentences in the text?
- Ask the children to create a more sensible set of sentences for the poem completing the sentences below:
le rouge dessine .............
le vert dessine ...............
le bleu dessine ...............
le gris dessine ................
le noir dessine................
- Now they can become artists themselves and draw the objects they have decided are more sensible and match the colours and describe what is happening in French to a partner using the key sentences above.
And finally here is the You tube clip of the text above!