Just a simple game but one I think that some classes will really enjoy!
How many conversions can a team of children successfully achieve during a focus on grammar in the target language.
Each successful conversion is worth 2 points!
Pick your realistic and stage appropriate grammar focus - nouns, adjectives or present tense verbs!
Now the game is on!
The Rules of Rugby Conversion Grammar
- Each team should have four players (differentiated ability)
- Each player must particpate fully and be involved in the structural change to the noun, verb or adjective.
- Each player needs a small whiteboard and pen or pieces of paper.
- The teacher must set each team a similar challenge with a different item of vocabulary (see below)."The conversion challenge"
- Ask each team to convert the piece of vocabulary in front of them so that it can be used in a different way ( see below).
- Each team player must use their whiteboard or a piece of paper to write or demonstrate pictorially part of the change to the piece of vocabulary"the conversion "so that it completes your conversion challenge
Possible Conversion Challenges
With nouns (select an appropriate challenge for the level of your learners)
- Change a noun and its article from definite to indefinite article and noun
- Change a singular noun to a plural noun
- Find out in the bilingual dicytionary if a noun is masculine or feminine and write it out with a definite artilce and an indefinite article
With adjectives (select an appropriate challenge for the level of your learners)
- Place a correctly written adjective in the correct place in a sentence with a noun
- Write accurately an adjective with a noun that is a feminine noun- expect agreement
- Show the different spellings of one adjective if it is used with a masculine singular , masculine plural , feminine singular, feminine plural noun.
With verbs (select an appropriate challenge for the level of your learners)
- Spot a verb in a written sentence
- spot an unfamiloar verb in a written sentence and then find its meaning in a bilingual dictionary and write out the infinitive
- Take an infinitive and write out the first person singular (etcetra)
- Change an answer using a verb to a second person singular question
- Write a correct sentence using a modal verb and the infinitive of another verb